Saturday, April 21, 2012

Learning Something Every Day

About a month ago my doctor suggested that I watch a movie.  It was called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and it may well have been the catalyst for changing my life.  (I am currently on day seven of what I hope to be a thirty day "fast" of only freshly made vegetable and fruit juice.)

As part of my regimen to keep me inspired I've been watching other movies as well:
Each of these films has its own strengths and weaknesses.  I am sure that people who know more about nutrition and molecular science can quibble about various specific aspects.  (I have a feeling that that'd be especially true in Food Matters.)  Yet all of them together confirm what seems to me to be a very important message --

The food we eat today is literally different from the food we ate 50 or 100 years ago.  And I don't just mean the kinds of foods, I mean that the foods themselves have changed.  The nutritional quality has changed.  In some cases the molecular make up has changed.  And these changes have not been for the better.  The food we eat today is not as healthy for us -- and in many cases is now seriously unhealthy.  At the most extreme, the food we eat today is poisoning us.

And, so, all four of these films calls us to a different way of eating -- a whole foods, plant based diet.  The science is pretty convincing, so why aren't more people responding?


In Gassho,


RevWik











Print this post

No comments: