Monday, April 22, 2019

A Rite of Spring


"The question is not whether we believe in resurrection 
but whether we have known it -- 
known it in our own lived experience, 
seen it in the lives of others, 
felt it in the world around us."


For the last two decades or so, on the Sunday the majority of Christians celebrate Easter, every congregation I have served has held a service titled, "A Rite of Spring:  An Eastertide Celebration in Two Acts."  It is a visually rich service of readings and hymns, much like many Christmas Eve services, an it is one of the things from my time as a parish minister of which I am most proud.  I think it is an authentic expression of Unitarian Universalism -- both our message and our method.
'
Back in 2016 I posted the text of "A Rite of Spring."  It is a very different thing to read the text without being able to see the roughly 100 images that are projected throughout or to experience the beauty of the hymns.  Still, even by themselves I think the words are worth considering.  If you're interested, here is the link:



Pax tecum,

RevWik


Print this post

No comments: