Monday, July 23, 2018

Questions & Responses 2018

These are the Opening and Closing words I offered for the "Questions & Responses" service at the congregation I serve in Charlottesville, Virginia on July 22, 2018.  I responded to as many of the questions as I could, as best I could in the moment.  This post also includes all of the questions to come out of the congregation.


Opening Words:

It is common in a great many Unitarian Universalist congregations for the settled preacher to offer what’s often called a “Question Box Sermon” – congregants write questions on index cards, which are then collected and which the preacher does her best to answer.  I first encountered this practice in our congregation in Yarmouth, Maine, where it was known instead as “Stump the Minister Sunday.”  It had become the tradition there to ask questions so complex, so erudite, or so niche that it was unlikely that the preacher would be able to answer.  It was also a chance to have some fun.  In my first year, for instance, I was asked for the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, to which I replied, “African or European?”  (I have since learned that the average air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow, at least is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.)

Fun though this was, I have always that these “Question Box Sermons” shouldn’t be a challenge to the congregation to come up with ever more esoteric questions for the minister but, instead, an opportunity for a congregation to “test” their ordained minister and to see how their mind works (in situ, as it were).  In some of the schools within the Zen Buddhist traditions there is something known as “dharma combat. “  As I understand it, a student who is preparing to become a teacher comes before the sangha which then questions him to test the breadth of their knowledge and the depth of their understanding. 

“Question Box Sermons” also provide an opportunity for both the ordained minister – and the congregation itself – to learn just what questions members are wrestling, or dancing, with.  What’s on your minds?  What questions, what concerns, what issues are “uppermost on your minds and deepest in your hearts”?  What, if you could ask me anything, what would you ask?

One other thought:  I have learned that the author Brian McLaren no longer offers Q&A sessions after his talks.  He used to, but he no longer does.  Instead, he now offers a time for “Q&R”.  He’s said that he now realizes that he will have answers to people’s questions may be a little presumptuous– especially if they are deep and meaningful ones.  Now he promises only to offer his most considered response.


The Questions:
  • Why have Jews been hated/killed/ostracized for millennia?  (Including, of course, in many quarters now?)
  • From a religious perspective, what does "community" mean?
  • Finding a place?  Finding a passion?
  • Help me to learn to pray, please.
  • I am trying to find my space in this liberal religion, where there are more questions than anything else.  Where do I start?
  • You love superheroes.  What is a superhero with a particularly spiritual lesson?
  • How do we discourage harmful "group-think" bandwagons?
  • How do we explain the evil in the world, such as terrorism, to our young children?
  • I'm 77.  My grandchildren are grown.  What do I do with the rest of my life?
  • What was your most spiritually fulfilling moment?
  • What is your least favorite thing about Unitarian Universalism?
  • Sometimes there are questions that ministers wish they were asked.  Is there a question you wish to be asked and to answer?
  • Define "prayer."
  • How do you discern when a decision is selfish or healthy self-care?  Particularly regards limiting contact with family members with mental health issues?
  • As an atheist, with no belief in an afterlife, reward or punishment (eternal or otherwise), what is the point of being virtuous or "good"?
Those were the questions I was able to answer during the service.  Here are the rest:
  • It breaks my heart to see the dissension here these days.  How can we come together again -- respecting our differences and honoring mutual love again?
  • What can Unitarian Universalists learn from Christianity (or from Jesus) that can help guide our lives?
  • How do different religions in the world offer support for those who are persecuted?
  • We love TJMC and all who work in it so arduously.  Is it possible that the anxious disunity fostered by current political establishment might undermine Unitarian Universalist's attempt to unify everyone?
  • How do you stay in community with family members who have racist views?
  • Where can I find hope or joy?  I used to find them in nature.  Now I am saddened by man's destruction of the earth.  I used to have faith in the goodness o humans.  It is overshadowed by evil.  How do we face despair?
  • In this world, this hurting world, both large and in my small world, where the needs are huge and often conflicting, how do I choose where to put my energy, and how do I find peace in myself in the midst of so much?
  • How much would could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  • Is he church available for hosting  U.S. Chess Federation sponsored chess tournaments (on occasional weekends)?
  • "Love" and "Spirituality," are they the same thing?
  • How does racial justice work and social action affect you in your day-to-day life?
  • I once heard a minister say that Unitarian Universalists do not believe in an afterlife.  Is this a universal doctrine for UUs?  I want to believe that there is something next!
  • Please translate your closing words.  Thank you.
  • Why do so many choose to follow religious beliefs based on impossible miraculous and likely mythical events, rather than use critical reasoning to form their belief systems?
  • Why does racism exist in Charlottesville?  Or anywhere?
  • Why is music an important part of many different religious services?
  • How can I soothe myself and others when there is so much pain in our world?
  • How can we deal, spiritual, with our sense that this country is heading into an existential crisis?
  • What hymn do you love or think is particularly meaningful?
  • How do we encourage more volunteers?
  • Would you be willing to take a pay cut to stay?
  • Could we have more music?
  • Tell me just shy I am here when Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth are both in contention at the British Open?
  • What would you like us to know about the many challenges of [being] lead minister?
  • When your child (who is 6) asks you if there is a god, and her parents don't agree on the answer, how do you answer her?  Explain how Unitarian Universalism can help her figure it out?
  • What can an atheist say as a pre-meal "grace" when asked to do so by conventionally religious persons?

A lot of really good questions, no?  I've never done this before, but I think that I will write responses to these on this blog over the next several weeks.  Stay tuned!


Closing Words:

For closing words how could I not offer this well-known passage from Rainer Maria Rilke’s 1903 book,  Letters to a Young Poet:

...I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.”



Pax tecum,

RevWik








Print this post

No comments: