Tuesday, May 03, 2016

You Already Know


I know what to do.


You know what to do, too.


We know what to do

     in spite of that voice

     in our head

telling us that we don't;

telling us that we have no idea

     what
          to do;

telling us that the situation is

          hopeless,

     and that we are

          helpless.


Even so ...


We know what to do.

You know what to do.

I know what to do, too.



The problem really is:

that I don't want to

or that I'm afraid to

or that I'm hesitating

because I'm not sure that I can

     do

what I know I need

          to do.



In the biblical book of Judges,

God tells Gideon what to do.

But Gideon wants to make sure.

     Sometimes that voice in your head

           isn't

               God.


So Gideon asks God for proof --

     "Do this and I'll know

          I should do

     what you've told me

          to do.

     Do this,

          and I'll know that it's you."



So God did.

But Gideon wants to make sure.

He knows about coincidence.

So he asks God to do something else --

     "Do this other thing

          and I'll know that it's you."

And God does.



But Gideon already knew.


He knew what to do,

Just like you do,

and just like I do.

He knew what to do,

     but he didn't want to.

So he kept asking for signs,

          for proof.

And so do I.


I'll bet you do, too.



But here's what we know,

     beneath and beyond the voices that tell us that we

          don't,

here's what we know:

Get started.

Don't wait any longer.

Don't look for a sign to tell you when or how.

Start.  Do

Something.

Now.

Begin.

And when you've done that first thing,

     do the next one.



Keep doing

          something.

Now.

Don't wait for proof.

     Look back for it

     if you must,

     but later.

     After you've been at

     it for a while.

For now,

     just do

          the thing

               you already know to do.





Pax tecum,

RevWik




Print this post

No comments: